Carol Stream Public Library
Library Accounts Policy
(Approved 8/19/15, Revised 9/15/21)
1. General Information
Illinois Compiled Statutes states, “Every library … shall be forever for the use of the residents and taxpayers of the village…subject to such reasonable rules and regulations as the library board may adopt in order to render the use of the library of the greatest benefit to the greatest number of such residents and taxpayers.” (75 ILCS 5/1-3)
Current government-issued photo identification and residency verification are required to open a library account and to obtain a new or replacement library card. Resident accounts do not expire until you move from your current residence. Applicants under the age of 18 require a parent/legal guardian’s signature to open a library account.
The Accountholder agrees to comply with all Library rules and policies and accepts responsibility for all use of card(s) issued under his/her signature.
A valid library account is required to check out, renew, and reserve library materials. A valid account is defined as:
- Account that has not expired.
- Patron address information on file is correct.
- Patron does not have fines or fees in excess of the current threshold.
Through a Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement with the Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS), residents with valid Carol Stream Public Library accounts may borrow materials directly from any library participating in the Reciprocal Borrowing Program in the State of Illinois.
Carol Stream Public Library complies with the Library Records Confidentiality Act (75ILCS 70/1). The registration and circulation records of the Library are confidential information. No person shall publish or make available to the public any information contained in those records, unless:
- the information is requested pursuant to court order, or
- the information is requested by a law enforcement officer as part of an investigation concerning a matter of public safety, the law enforcement officer represents either orally or in writing that immediate law enforcement activity that depends upon the disclosure would be materially and adversely affected by waiting until a court order could be obtained, and the information sought is limited to assisting in identifying a suspect, witness, or victim of a crime.
3. Lost Cards
Lost library cards should be reported to the Library immediately to prevent unauthorized use. The accountholder is responsible for all items borrowed on their lost card along with any fees for damages incurred prior to the date the library is notified.
4. Suspension of Privileges
Borrowing privileges may be suspended. Reasons for suspension include but are not limited to:
- Unpaid fees or overdue materials exceeding the Library’s threshold on one or more associated accounts.
- Returned mail from the address on one or more associated accounts.
- Loss of borrowing privileges at another Illinois library due to outstanding fines/fees.
- Violation of the Carol Stream Public Library Policy Governing Patron Behavior and/or Code of Conduct.
The Library reserves the right to enforce its policies through use of collection agencies, civil actions and/or criminal prosecution.
5. Temporary Residents
A person temporarily residing in the Village of Carol Stream for a minimum of thirty (30) consecutive days may be issued a temporary virtual library account with an expiration date set to ninety (90) days upon approval of application. This account allows 24/7 access to the Library’s online resources. Photo ID and verification of temporary Carol Stream address is required.
6. Non-Residents Who Own Property in Carol Stream
Persons who reside outside the Village of Carol Stream and pay taxes to the Carol Stream Public Library are eligible for a library account. One account will be issued per tax parcel and expire one (1) year from date of issue. Photo identification and verification of ownership are required. 75 ILCS 5/4-7 (12).
7. Non-Resident Accounts
The Board of Trustees is empowered to extend the privileges and use of the library to persons who are not served by a public library and to impose a non-resident fee for such services comparable to the cost paid by residents of the Village of Carol Stream. (Eligibility as defined in 23 ILAC 3050 and 75 ILCS 5/4-7 (12)).
- Non-Resident Homeowner – Family and individual non-resident homeowners’ annual fee for library privileges will be determined upon presentation of the most recent property tax bill by applying the Library’s current tax rate to the applicant’s most recent equalized assessed valuation.
- Non-Resident Renter – Family and individual nonresident annual fee for library privileges will be equal to 15% of the average monthly rent verified by current lease or rent receipt.
8. Institution Special Borrowing Accounts
Accounts may be issued annually to institutions such as Schools, Government Agencies or Non-Profit Organizations located within the Village of Carol Stream for use of Carol Stream Public Library resources and services that directly benefit the mission of the organization. The institution agrees to be responsible for all fees incurred and must provide a list of authorized users limited to classroom instruction or research staff. Photo ID and verification of institution’s and applicants’ addresses are required.
9. Business Special Borrowing Accounts
Accounts may be issued annually to Businesses located within the Village of Carol Steam for use of Carol Stream Public Library resources and services that directly benefit the mission of the business. The Business Owner agrees to be responsible for all fees incurred and may provide a list of up to five (5) authorized users. Photo ID and verification of the business and applicants’ addresses are required.
10. Reciprocal Borrower Accounts
Reciprocal borrowing privileges are extended to a holder of a library card that is issued from an Illinois library that participates in the Reciprocal Borrowing Program. Reciprocal borrowers must present a library card issued by their local public library and current government-issued photo identification. Library privileges will be granted for one year or less dependent upon verification of eligibility and expiration date of card at home library. Some restrictions may apply.